A blog about vintage fashion, vintage jewels and art.....

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Toile it is



I recently was hovering around varied Etsy Treasuries and discovered this gorgeous Treasury called Toile Be or not Toile Be, that is the Question which was put lovingly together by the lovely Mom Wald of Mom Wald's Place on Etsy. I had never head of Toile although I have seen this design often enough in antique shops or antique market stalls. So.... I asked this Etsian to kindly illuminate us about this design and its origins... here is what she says, 


"Most of us are familiar with a style of fabric known as Toile. Many may not know the name, but recognize it. The actual name is Toile de Jouy, and although it is French, the style actually originated in Ireland. It found its home in France in the late 18th century and from there enchanted the world.

Toile began as cream or white fabric with intricate single color pictures of people or flowers repeated to make a lace like pattern. Nowadays every color combination imaginable can be found.





The popularity of Toile has helped it not only endure, but thrive through the centuries. Today this type of pattern can be found on everything from fabric to glass. Whether it the romance of a bygone era or the flavor of France that appeals to you, Toile is available in almost any form."



I was quite excited to discover this Etsian also has an adorable blog which you can visit here. It's all about vintage teacups, quilting, embroidery and beautiful things from times gone by. Be sure to visit.

4 comments:

MomWaldsPlace said...

Thank you for sharing about toile. It is so lovely. This has been fun! I am glad you chose to highlight the pillow. The organdy trim is delightful.

Now I can hardly wait to sew up the blue and white toile I have just waiting to be sewn up for my kitchen table.

MomWaldsPlace said...

I simply had to share! http://momwaldsplace.blogspot.com/2012/01/toile-be-or-not-toile-be.html

Carole Poirot said...

Yes, I love toile fabric (and wallpaper and any item it comes on really) and those cups are lovely xo

A Cozy Cottage in the City said...

Greetings! Wonderful post! Oh I do love Toile - the fabric, pattern, etc.!!!! :) I even have a toile shower curtain! lol

Anyway, I hope you are having a wonderful week so far. Take care and have a splendid day!


XO's,
Jessie