A blog about vintage fashion, vintage jewels and art.....

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Flappers & Flair

When I came across the art of Gintare Bruzas, I was immediately struck by this beautiful painting - Lady in a Grey Coat from her 1920 Fashion Flapper series. In her own words.... "I am a self-representing artist. I was born and raised in Lithuania, I moved to USA in 1995. I currently reside in Southern California with my husband where I work out of my home studio. My artwork consists of mostly portraits and figure studies. Besides art, I have a long term fascination with 18th century and 1920's fashion. "Ladies of Roaring 20's" series is especially near and dear to my heart because 1920s brought about a drastic change in social customs, morals and clothing for women. The morals, customs, and mood of the 20's were drastic departure from those of the two preceding decades. During WWI, women were called upon to fill the jobs that men left behind. There was no time for mincing steps in restricting skirts. Shorter, wider, more practical skirts were designed for the assertive independent women who were now earning wages for their war time work."
This set the mood for some more roaring '20s images for you to feast your eyes on....





1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a talented lady. Just seen her paintings on Etsy. I love the blue background....I'm very much into blue at the moment! Lucyxx